47 095 Derby 2.6.1986 (Class 47 Facebook)
20 155 and 20 XXX Derby 2.6.1986 (Class 20 Facebook)
20 214 Derby 2.6.1986 (Class 20 Facebook)
151 002 Derby 2.6.1986
An evening visit to Derby back in 1986 saw a good variety of trains in the hour or so before it got dark, including the 151 unit which caused a bit of a stir on the Facebook page as a few members didn't know that such a unit ever existed! Alongside this gem were some classic HSTs, three class 20s and a class 47.
More info (from Wikipedia)
Derby railway station also known as Derby Midland Station, is a main line station serving the city of Derby in England. Owned by Network Rail and managed by East Midlands Trains, the station is also used by CrossCountry services and one daily Northern Rail service. It is situated to the south-east of Derby city centre, and is close to the west bank of the River Derwent.
Derby's central location and former importance as a 'railway town' have made it an important node of the rail network. First opened in 1844, it was at the time one of the largest in the country and was unusual for being shared by more than one company. Until recently, major carriage and locomotive workshops as well as the Research Division in the Railway Technical Centre were housed there.
The station is an interchange point between the Midland Main Line from London St Pancras to Leeds and long-distance services on the Cross-Country route from Aberdeen through Birmingham New Street to Penzance or Bournemouth (the zero milepost on the latter route is at the south end of platform 1). Until the mid twentieth century, the station was also served by through trains from Manchester and Glasgow to London. It is still a busy station, the section to Sheffield having the highest train frequency (passenger and freight) of any line in the East Midlands.
Local services from Nottingham to Matlock along the Derwent Valley Line serve the station as well as local and semi-fast services to Stoke-on-Trent,Crewe, Birmingham and Cardiff Central.
Derby station today has six platforms (all but Platform 5 are through platforms), connected by a footbridge, used as an exit to Pride Park and a car park.
On 14 February 2001, Derby City Council, Midland Main Line and Railtrack agreed a £1,736,000-scheme to connect Derby Midland station to the Pride Park development. Under this Derby City Council provided £270,000 to extend the station footbridge to reach the new Pride Park site and associated car park. In exchange for the Council's funding of the bridge, Railtrack and Midland Main Line entered into a "Covenant With Regard to the Footbridge", that the non-travelling public would be free to cross the footbridge at any time during station hours. The covenant contained exceptions for Christmas Day and Boxing day, and a proviso that the footbridge would not become a public right of way.
On 21 June 2007 Stagecoach Midland Rail Limited (later East Midlands Trains) entered into a franchise agreement with the Secretary of State for Transportfor the East Midlands Franchise. Under Appendix 11, paragraph 11.6(a), East Midlands Trains was required to invest in "project management, procurement, design and station change costs" for the "installation of automatic ticket gate lines" at Derby station.
On 3 April 2009 East Midlands Trains (EMT), the new franchisee of Derby station, sought an amendment from Derby City Council to allow for gating to "reduce unauthorised use of trains and improve security". The Derby City Council consented to the request for automated ticket gate introduction, but allowing Derby City Council to require removal within 42 days should EMT be found in non-compliance of the additional terms. Ticket barriers were introduced at both ends of the extended footbridge on 18 August 2009. The barriers must be left open if they are not manned at both ends, and ad-hoc usage of the footbridge must be allowed at all other times.
- Pass Scheme
Before the start of barrier introduction, posters and a road show were held, introducing the "Pass Scheme" for footbridge users. The publicity resulted in over 800 pass requests in the first weeks before gating. Under the terms of the 2009 amended agreement, the pass scheme covers non-rail pedestrian and cycle users travelling "from Pride Park to central Derby or vice-versa". Pass applications made at the station booking office must be processed immediately, while all other applications including those by email must be posted out within 48 hours. The agreement states that no administration charge is allowed for issuing or renewing of passes, with maximum charge of £5.00 allowed for the cost of replacing each lost pass. EMT stated that passes must be swiped at both ends of the footbridge, and those that are not would be revoked. Derby City Council retains the right to audit withdrawn passes.
Early East Midlands railway schemes
After the building of the Stockton and Darlington Railway in 1825, a number of ambitious projects for long-distance lines between cities had been mooted. Among these was a line between London and Edinburgh, for both goods and passengers, via Bedford and Leeds, passing in between Carlisle and Newcastle.
Meanwhile, a number of short lines were built for specific purposes. Among these were the Mansfield and Pinxton and the Leicester and Swannington. Both these were feeders for canals, the former a wagonway, but were pivotal in later events. Possibly the longest was the Cromford and High Peak Railway, opened in 1833, to connect the Cromford Canal with the Peak Forest Canal. It attracted interest because it provided access to Manchester through the Peak District of Derbyshire, even today an obstacle to transport.
In the 1830s, lines were already in progress between Bristol and London and from each to Birmingham and thence to Liverpool and Manchester, and their promoters were looking ahead. Three schemes came to the fore for the East Midlands. The Grand Junction Railroad would connect Birmingham with Sheffield and Derby, with a branch to Nottingham and another branch from Sheffield to Manchester. There would also be a line to the East Coast at Goole. In 1824 the London Northern Railroad Company was formed to link Birmingham, Derby, Nottingham, Hull and Manchester with London. Two options were proposed. One would branch at Loughborough, with branches for Nottingham and Derby, and proceeding to Manchester by the Cromford and High Peak Railway. The other option would pass through Northampton, with a branch to Birmingham, go on to Derby, with a branch to Nottingham, and thence to the Cromford and High Peak. The Grand Midland Railway was a proposal to branch from the London to Birmingham railway, already under consideration, at Northampton, and bring it through Leicester, Loughborough and Derby to the Cromford and High Peak.
Towards the end of the 1820s, however, the economic climate of the country had deteriorated, and many investors were waiting to see how the new Liverpool and Manchester Railway would succeed. Moreover, not everyone shared the dream. For most people the canals were adequate for the carriage of goods, while few travelled very far. Most people lived their lives within a few miles of their birthplace. The later story of the railways was a classic one of a product generating a demand, rather than the other way around. Thus, what investment that was forthcoming was for ventures for which a need could be clearly perceived, with a reasonable expectation of a good, and rapid, return. Although the surveys were useful in the planning of later lines, the three were never built.
Derby investors, naturally, favoured the scheme by the Grand Junction Railway to connect to the Cromford and High Peak Railway and Manchester, through Derby (at what was to be called the Grand Central Station), since the London and Northern would pass through Sandiacre, some ten miles away. In the event, neither line was built. In addition, the Cromford and High Peak Railway was not ideally suited to passenger working, and an alternative via Bakewell and Chapel-en-le-Frith would encounter very difficult terrain. (Manchester was not, in fact, reached until later in the century by the Manchester, Buxton, Matlock and Midlands Junction Railway and its extensions.)
The Midland Counties Railway was originally proposed to connect the Mansfield and Pinxton Railway to Leicester because of competition to supply coal. However, with the existing canal network, and the navigability of the River Trent to Nottingham, there had been few people willing to invest.
On the other hand, although the River Derwent flowed from Derby into the Trent, navigation was not easy. The Derby Canal had been opened in 1793 but, due to financial restrictions placed on it by Parliament, and the complex local politics of the day it had not been a resounding success. Thus the financiers in Derby vigorously supported any scheme which would bring a railway to the town.
George Hudson was chairman of the York and North Midland Railway, a proposed line from York towards the industrial markets of Manchester and Liverpool. He was interested in a southwards route and encouraged the building of North Midland Railway, later becoming its chairman. Meanwhile, financiers in Birmingham, includingG.C.Glyn, a banker and chairman of the London and Birmingham Railway, were looking to expand their system. Derby was in between. The Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway would it give a link from Yorkshire to London, and access to the coalfields, as well as other minerals.
Meanwhile, the promoters of the Midland Counties Railway found investors further afield, who suggested a line linking Nottingham, Derby and Leicester, with an extension to Rugby for London. Their original plan in 1833 had been to bring their line to Derby at Darby's Yard and Exeter Gardens, at the east side of the present Market Place, with a bridge over the Derwent. Following Vignoles'sreassessment in 1835 a new route was proposed, either north or south of the Derby Canal to a terminus near St. Mary's Bridge with a branch to Full Street near to John Lombe's Silk Mill. Both options would cross the North Midland lines north of the other station.
The North Midland planned to build their station near Nottingham Road, avoiding a river bridge, while the Birmingham and Derby planned to build theirs nearby. Possibly with encouragement from the Derby financiers, they realised the value of a link with the North Midland, and decided to bridge the river and share its station. It was usual in those days for new railways to build their own termini, but, while Derby people were enthusiastic about railways, they were less so about a multiplicity of stations. In 1836 the Town Council suggested a single station for all three companies. The Midland Counties engineer pointed out to his financiers that a good deal of money would be saved by joining the other two railways on a single site.
An alternative that was considered was an island bounded by the River Derwent and the canal, called The Holmes, now Bass's Recreation Ground. Not only was the space restricted and susceptible to flooding, the necessary trackwork would be complicated. Eventually, the present site was chosen, further south on the west bank, Borough's Fields, in the neighbouring hamlet of Litchurch, at the southern side of the Castlefields estate. It was a mile from the town, but the Council agreed to build a carriageway to the town centre, along Siddals Lane, now Siddals Road. Since the accounting systems of the day did not allow a capital asset to be shared between companies, it would be built by the North Midland, with the other two companies renting spaces. The whole arrangement was confirmed by the North Midland Railway Act of 1839.
The Tri Junct Station
Although some literature refers to it as the 'Tripartite Station'. it became known as the 'Tri Junct Station', It was 1,050 ft (320 m) long with one through platform plus a north and a south bay, the main platform and bays connected to seven stabling roads by a series of carriage turntables (rolling-stock was moved around the station by hand). These platform and stabling roads were all beneath a three-bay train shed.
Whishaw described it thus: "The admirably contrived and elegant roofs, the spacious, the great length of the whole erection extending to upwards of a thousand feet. All unite in rendering it the most complete structure of the kind in the United Kingdom or perhaps the world."
The platform was in three parts with the centre section built forward as in the diagram, which allowed trains some freedom of movement. With one platform for passengers to board and alight, it was not necessary for them to cross running lines when changing trains. The station offices were also partitioned into three sections, each line having its own facilities.
Fronting this was a magnificent two-storey stone building designed by Francis Thompson. The North Midland also built a cluster of workers' houses of which the present Midland Terrace remains preserved as a conservation area.
At each end was a hotel. The Midland Hotel, for first class passengers, is said to be the first provincial railway hotel following on after that at Euston in London.The Brunswick Inn was for second class passengers and railway workers. The saying went that patrons of the first chatted about hunting and shooting, of the other, shunting and hooting.
The first public departure from a temporary platform was on 4 June 1839 when a Midland Counties train ran to Nottingham. (the inaugural run having taken place from Nottingham on the 30th) The first train to Birmingham departed on 12 August in the same year, from another temporary platform further south. The Tri Junct Station finally opened when the North Midland line was completed toRotherham Masborough on 11 May 1840, reaching Leeds seven weeks later. The station's official name was Derby Station.
In 1844 all three railways amalgamated to become the Midland Railway, and Derby station became the new company's headquarters. The story goes that Joseph Paxton, a director of the railway, produced his first sketch for the Crystal Palace during a board meeting there. The North Midland had built a repair shop, with the other two building locosheds. These were amalgamated to form the Midland's main locomotive works. Among a number of innovations was the trial of steel rail developed by Robert Forester Mushet in 1857.
In 1846 a north facing spur (Derby North Junction) was added from the Midland Counties line. In 1867 a loop was added to the south, allowing through running for trains from London. The original section remained in occasional use for passenger trains until it was closed in 1969. (What nowadays would be considered the major junction, to the south, is called London Road.)
In 1858 the station was extended with extra offices, improved facilities and a porte-cochère - a covered area for carriages with arriving and departing passengers. Traffic increased such that an island platform, the present 2 and 3, was built with, in 1871, Platforms 4 to 6 (Platform 5 being a bay to the south). At this time the turntables were removed and replaced by scissors crossovers, the whole complex controlled by a signal box on the centre platform.
In 1878, the Great Northern Railway opened its "Derbyshire and North Staffordshire Extension" with a station at Derby Friargate Station.
The station and the extensive complex of railway workshops adjoining it were of sufficient strategic importance for them to have been the target of a Zeppelin bombing raid during World War I, in 1916, though only slight damage was inflicted.
London, Midland and Scottish Railway
Until the Manchester line through Millers Dale was closed by Barbara Castle following the Beeching era, the 'main line' was that from London to Manchester, carrying named expresses such as the 'Palatine' and the 'Peaks', while trains to Leeds and Scotland tended to use the Erewash Valley Line and expresses toEdinburgh, such as The Waverley travelled through Corby and Nottingham. The line from Leeds was nevertheless busy with trains to the south west and Cornwall, and summer specials to Paignton and Torquay. It had a named express, the 'Devonian', which ran from Bradford to Bristol.
In World War II, on 15 January 1941, the station was attacked again, becoming one of the few locations in Derby to suffer significant bomb damage. The overall roof of the train shed and platform six were severely damaged, with the loss of most of the rest of the glass, although the Victorian frontage of the station survived.
The station was renamed Derby Midland Station on 25 September 1950.
Comparison of photographs taken of the street side of the station in the early 1900s and the 1970s show little outward change. On the track side, however, extensive rebuilding of the platform buildings, footbridge and awnings in 1952, using pre-stressed concrete, gave the station a very different appearance, with simple functional lines. The cost of the modernisation plan was £200,000. The station signal box was also rebuilt, described by the staff as 'a cupboard under the stairs'.
From 6 May 1968, the station became known as simply Derby on timetables and platforms, though the full name of Derby Midland Station was retained on the station's main sign. Even today, the fuller name is sometimes used, including on the modern main sign (erected 1985) and on the station's electronic departures board.
With the advent of power signalling in 1969, the signal box and the crossovers disappeared, and the tracks approaching the station were relaid to allow trains from any direction to enter or leave any platform. The original Midland Counties Railway route from the north end of the station to Spondon Junction via Chaddesden sidings was closed as part of this work (trains travelling between Nottingham & stations towards Birmingham henceforth have had to reverse at the station).
Further work in 1985 saw the final replacement of the ageing Victorian station entrance and booking hall by a more modern design. The entrance's original clock was moved to the north end of the car park and the coats of arms of the Midland Railway and of the City of Derby were affixed to the new frontage. The decision to demolish the old building was a controversial one at the time.
Upon the privatisation of British Rail, the station became owned by Railtrack and later Network Rail, though, in common with most British railway stations, the day-to-day operation is contracted out to the principal user of the station, in this case East Midlands Trains. Prior to November 2007, the station was managed by Midland Mainline, who continued to refurbish the station with the installation of a large electronic departure board in the station entrance hall and smaller boards on all platforms.
In 2005, the footbridge connecting the platforms, which had been temporarily supported for at least 30 years, was replaced. Whilst doing this, engineers discovered that there were stresses in the concrete of the 1950s canopy. Work to demolish the canopies and erect new ones began in mid-2007 and was completed in October 2009.
A new modern signalling centre, known as East Midlands SCC, was opened immediately south of the station alongside the Birmingham line in 2008. This new facility was built to replace the 1960s era panel boxes here and at Trent Junction (near Nottingham), plus the 1986 one at Leicester and various small manual & panel boxes elsewhere in the area. When fully complete, it will be one of 12 national Rail Operating Centres and supervise over 350 route miles of railway.
Improvement works 2014–2017
As part of Derby's City Centre Eastern Fringes Area Action Plan, plans for new urban village development 'Castleward' suggest a complete overhaul of the rail station's frontage. Plans also focus on a new pedestrian walkway and cycleway routed between the station and the city centre, featuring new retail, residential and commercial developments.
The Midland Main Line electrification project—part of a wider electrification programme—will also involve remodelling the track and signalling at Derby: services approaching from the north will be segregated from those approaching from the south and west, thus removing the current bottleneck at the station. The work is expected to be complete by December 2017 A s.eventh platform will be built to the north of the current platforms, and this, along with the current platform 6, will be used solely by London–Sheffield services. CrossCountry services between Birmingham and Sheffield will use the southernmost platforms, with Nottingham–Birmingham trains reversing at the platforms in between.
As befits its status as a major main line junction, the station has regular & frequent services on all main routes. East Midlands Trains operates a twice-hourly service over the Midland Main Line southbound to London St Pancras International via Leicester and northbound to Sheffield, whilst CrossCountry runs long distance inter-regional trains to Newcastle & Edinburgh Waverley northbound and to Plymouth via Bristol Temple Meads and to Reading (both via Birmingham New Street) southbound. The Edinburgh to Plymouth route runs via Leeds, whilst the Newcastle to Reading trains operate via Doncaster and the Thames Valley line through Oxford. Certain Plymouth trains are extended to/from Penzance, whilst there are also limited through services to Aberdeen, Dundee, Bournemouth,Glasgow Central and Guildford. It also operates the Nottingham to Birmingham and Cardiff Central regional service.
Other local routes are operated by EMT, with hourly frequencies on the Nottingham - Matlock Derwent Valley Line and the Derby - Crewe via Stoke-on-Trent lines. Northern Rail also operates a single return service between Nottingham & Sheffield through here for route knowledge retention purposes (southbound early morning, returning north in the evening), although only the northbound service actually stops here.