Thursday 1 April 2010

lausanne chauderon





(All 10.6.1987)

On my first visit to Switzerland in about 1976 I was determined to see the Lausanne-Echallens-Bercher line, as I'd read somewhere that it was Switzerland's first narrow gauge railway and it had street running. I remember getting on a train for a trip up the line but bottling out at the last moment because with Switzerland's reputation for being extremely expensive, and my reputation (then) of being extremely poor, not helped by my (then) terrible French, I jumped off just before it left the terminus to avoid embarrassment!

I did eventually return in 1987 armed with a Swiss Holiday Card (1st class!) and finally 'did' the line. It wasn't anything special, running through pretty flat Swiss countryside, but it did have nice new trains and still had that run down station in Lausanne that I remembered from my first visit.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment