(All 16.8.1988 copyright Steve Sainsbury/Rail Thing)
Three snatched shots at Upper Warlingham on 16 August 1988 showing the station and an NSE liveried unit number 1266 on an East Grinstead train.
Upper Warlingham Station
Upper Warlingham station is on the Oxted line and is one of three stations that serve Whyeleafe, as well as serving Warlingham. In fact it is only 150 metres (geographically) from Whyteleafe station on the parallel Caterham branch.
The 'Upper' prefix was added in 1956 to distinguish the station from Warlingham station on the Caterham line, renamed Whyteleafe South at the same time.
The "Upper" prefix originated because what is now Whyteleafe South station on the Caterham line, approximately 600 yards to the south west, was previously (until 1956) called Warlingham station and the prefix was originally necessary to differentiate them, Whyteleafe South station being lower down in the valley. Somehow the prefix survived the change in 1956.
Typically (2016) the station sees 2 trains per hour to London and East Grinstead.
The station was opened on 10 March 1884 and has seen passenger traffic almost double over the last 10 years, from 533,000 in 2004/05 to 976,000 in 2014/15.